50 Simple Things That Make Me Happy

To be blunt, life hasn’t dealt me the best things so far this year. When sad or bad things happen, it can be so hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It’s important sometimes to just take a breather and focus on what’s around you, even the little simple things. I’ve compiled a list of 50 small things that bring me happiness to remind myself of the good stuff.

1. Being told I’m appreciated or loved.
  2. Forehead kisses.
  3. The smell of blown-out candles.
  4. Taking a photograph and being really proud of the outcome.
  5. Picking up a book and not being able to put it back down.
  6. Making someone laugh.
  7. Freshly painted nails.
  8. Looking at old photos and videos.
  9. The feeling after cleaning and organising my room.
  10. Falling asleep cuddling.
  11. Baking.
  12. Getting the writing bug with blog posts and cracking out several posts in a row.
  13. Sticking labels on things (physically, not judgmentally).
  14. Genuine comments on my posts.
  15. Looking through my memory box.
  16. Singing along to throwback music.
  17. When it’s sunny but cold outside.
  18. Going to see a musical.
  19. Huge jumpers.
  20. Getting into my pyjamas after work.
  21. Cute animals.
  22. Vine compilations – I know they’re old but they’re my guilty pleasure.
  23. New make-up.
  24. Festive hot drinks.
  25. Playing games with my family.
  26. Pancakes.
  27. Exploring new places.
  28. A perfect cup of tea.
  29. Receiving an out of the blue message or gift.
  30. Long car rides singing along to music.
  31. Going for walks.
  32. Sunflowers.
  33. A hearty bowl of chilli con carne.
  34. Swimming.
  35. Camping.
  36. Dressing up all fancy.
  37. Helping people out.
  38. When dogs get excited as you walk through the door.
  39. Going out for food.
  40. Disney movies.
  41. Lazy days with Jesse.
  42. Getting up super early to go on holiday.
  43. New underwear or clothes that make me feel body confident.
  44. Hearing “I love you.”
  45. Popcorn.
  46. Applying false eyelashes right the first time.
  47. Curling my hair.
  48. Cream soda.
  49. Wearing my favourite perfume.
  50. Going for breakfast.

What would you include on your list?

1. February 7, 2019 / 3:47 pm

Not gonna lie, can’t believe I’m not one of these points, SO OFFENDED. Kidding, kind of. I’m going to include myself under the ‘cute animals’ one. I’m so glad I’m not the only one who loves the burnt-out candle smell, I did think I was a weirdo for quite a long time. My favourite vine compilations are the ones of that little girl Ava, she’s so bloody funny and cute – one of my personal favourites being “we’re two bacons in love”. Also Nacho is totally gonna lose her shit when you arrive in March, pre-warning. We can also go for breakfast if you want and sing along to music in the car. Also, I LOVE YOU.

• February 7, 2019 / 4:43 pm

Mate you need a whole post of your own hehe. So did I!! It’s the best smell ever, I always have a right good sniff whenever I blow a candle out. Aww she’s adorable! I find it so hard to choose a favourite because I’m always changing my mind but I do find the ones of people falling over hilarious because I’m spiteful. Nacho is the BEST, I can’t wait – lick attack haha. Mmmm breakfast – I would absolutely love all of that! Sounds like the best plan. I LOVE YOU TOO ALPAL xx

2. February 8, 2019 / 8:33 pm

I love this post! I think it’s so important to really appreciate the little things in life! If you can enjoy the small things you’re just a much happier person all around. Living in a third world country I really learned to appreciate the small things! I think my favorite simple thing that makes you happy from your list would have to be the smell of blown-out candles! I personally love that smell but I’ve never known anyone to agree with me!

💗 Alexx | Aesthetics by Alexx

• February 13, 2019 / 11:07 am

Thank you! I’m glad that you love it. It’s definitely refreshing to take a step back sometimes and focus on the good things, big or small. I bet that has really opened your eyes for sure. It was my birthday on Monday and it was one of the things I was looking forward to the most, blowing out my candles to get the smell! Haha xx

3. February 9, 2019 / 9:56 am

Ahh I love this post idea! I might do my own list and keep it for myself so I can put everything into perspective again! I would add the postman delivering something exciting that I’ve been waiting for and going for a curry with Aaron and my in-laws, having a girly night in with my besties and snuggling on the sofa with Aaron after a shitty day at work! ❤️❤️

• February 13, 2019 / 11:08 am

Thanks Gab! I would love to see your own list, I love learning what makes other people smile. Ooh they’re some goodens, I love a good curry and I’ve not had a girls night in so long x

4. February 10, 2019 / 4:07 pm

A fab list full of positivity. A few of the things I love from your list, baking, non put down-able books & new make up.

• February 13, 2019 / 11:08 am

Good choices! I would love to see what other things make you happy if you do ever create your own list x

5. February 11, 2019 / 8:24 pm

I love seeing posts like this. It reminds you to appreciate the little things. And I definitely share a love for a good 98% of all the things you’ve mentioned there. Although I’m not a huge fan of chilli! Maybe a nice portion of cheesy chips and beans from my favourite chip shop 😁

Laura ☆ http://www.laurahasablog.co.uk

• February 13, 2019 / 11:16 am

I’m glad I could spread some positive vibes. I’d love to see what you’d include on your list! Ooh good choice, cheesy chips are the best x

6. February 13, 2019 / 12:58 pm

I love this! sometimes you need to reflect and focus on the positives and these things seem so small but are so important!xo

• February 18, 2019 / 9:41 am

Definitely! It can really help you to see more positively x

7. February 13, 2019 / 2:17 pm

This is such a lovely post, Alice! It’s so nice to stop and appreciate the little things in life, they really can bring so much happiness and positivity. There are so many things on your list that I love too, huge jumpers, swimming, perfect cups of tea, and Disney movies to name a few 🙂 I did one of these posts last year, but I’m now feeling inspired to do an updated version. It’s such a cute idea and a fab way to get to know bloggers. Thanks for sharing, I hope the year gets better for you too! <3 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

• February 18, 2019 / 9:42 am

Thank you so much! It sounds like we have a lot in common, I’d love to see your own updated list as I love reading about other peoples’ happy thoughts. It definitely gives you an insight into their personalities, it’s so interesting. Thank you lovely, that’s really kind of you. I hope 2019 is a great one for you xx

8. February 13, 2019 / 10:26 pm

I love so many of these things too! And the fact that there STILL (to the best of my knowledge) isn’t a candle that smells like a blown out candle is an absolute tragedy. Pancakes and cute animals would definitely be on my list too! x

Sophie

• February 18, 2019 / 9:44 am

It actually is! We will just have to keep lighting them and blowing them out on purpose haha. Mmm I could so eat some pancakes right now x

• February 18, 2019 / 9:45 am

Me too actually! It helps ease my anxiety a little bit knowing everything is in its place x

9. Jade
    February 14, 2019 / 8:31 am

Omg loving the list amazing blog post thanks for sharing

jadieegosh

10. February 14, 2019 / 1:09 pm

I like a lot of these too pancakes being one of them :)x

• February 18, 2019 / 9:46 am

Yum, pancakes are the best! I love them with lots of strawberries on top x

11. February 14, 2019 / 1:56 pm

Great list! It’s amazing how all the little things add up to make the bigger picture!

• February 18, 2019 / 9:48 am

It’s so nice to reflect on small things sometimes, it really helps to put me at ease x

12. February 20, 2019 / 9:35 am

Ah I pretty much agree with everything on this list! The majority make me SO happy too! I love reading post’s like this and seeing the little things that people appreciate. I do think it’s so important to celebrate the little victories, as then you can see the positives in every day 🙂 xo