Today’s post is a guest post by writer Dan Baker; I really enjoyed some of his tips regarding picking out a wedding ring, I won’t spoil it too much as you can read up on them for yourself but they’re definitely pointers I’ll be referring back to when the time comes. It’ll most likely be a good few years yet until I’ll need help making this decision but for anyone that has these plans in their near future, I hope you find this post useful.
Typically people tend to assume that wedding rings are limited in terms of design. This is especially the case when you compare them to engagement rings. The engagement ring tends to take center stage with a beautiful show-stopping diamond and an elaborate design, whilst the wedding band compliments this with a more subtle yet equally stunning appearance.
Nevertheless, this does not mean that there is not a lot to consider before buying your wedding rings. There are still plenty of style options to be contemplated, and considering how important this ring is, it is not a purchase you want to rush into.
So, let’s jump right in. What should you consider before the designing of your wedding ring?
• Matching your wedding ring to your engagement ring – This is something that was touched upon in the introduction. These rings are going to be worn on the same finger. You will already have your engagement ring and so your wedding ring needs to look right alongside it. You should also consider any jewellery you where permanently, for example, you may wear nose studs or have a lip piercing. Of course, this won’t apply to everyone.
• Set a budget – Set a budget before you even begin to look at wedding rings. This ensures you stick to what you can afford. The last thing you want is for the stunning ring to lead to stress because you have maxed out your bank balance.
• Metal – Your choice of metal is important. Go for something that matches in with the colour of jewellery you would typically wear. Versatility is the key.
• Comfort – If you read wedding ring guides online then you will see that very few people ever tell you to consider comfort. However, this is one of the most important things. You are going to be wearing the ring for the rest of your life.
A lot of people are actually opting to design their own wedding ring in the current day. This may be something you wish to do. It is a bit like writing your own vows – it makes them more special and it means a lot more too. By having a wedding ring custom made you are going to be the only person in the world with it. This in itself is an extremely beautiful message.
If this sounds like a good option to you, then here are some design ideas you may wish to consider…
• Intricate detail – Traditionally wedding rings are rather plain and simplistic. However, we have recently seen a trend for intricate patterns and detail. The finer details can look simply magical when on an otherwise plain band.
• Mixed colour metals – By mixing two metals you deal with the issue of versatility quite easily. A popular combination would be to go for white gold and rose gold. This has long been a traditional option and so you need not to worry about it ever going out of fashion.
• Brushed finish – A brushed finish is definitely a lot more contemporary. It takes away the sparkle and shine of the metal to create more of a rustic look. This is something a lot of vintage lovers have fallen in love with.
Good luck with your wedding ring shopping!