NYX Ultimate Shadow Palette: Review, Swatches & Looks

It’s been a hot minute since I did an eyeshadow palette review, my last one being the Morphe 35O2 but I’d be pining after a certain palette for a while. It’s been around two years since this palette of rainbow colours was released along with its neutral sister so I’m extremely late to the game.

My boyfriend recently jokingly challenged me to create some make-up looks that aren’t neutrals or oranges – believe me, it really is a challenge for me as that’s genuinely all I ever wear on my eyes. I decided this was the perfect time to get the NYX Ultimate Shadow Palette; admittedly it felt very strange to me to pick up the colourful one rather than the dreamy looking palette full of warm browns but I was excited to experiment with something out of my comfort zone.

This palette is priced at £16; I ordered it online from Boots as they were doing a deal with a free gift included, NYX’s Worth the Hype mascara which I’d definitely recommend. There are 16 colours in the palette that range from reds, blues, greens and various other colours of the rainbow. There’s a mixture of darker toners as well as brighter ones as well as a variation of mattes and shimmers. The shimmers are more subtle rather than metallic which I do really love as even though metallic shadows look gorgeous all over the lid, I think with this palette the bright colours alone speak enough volumes.

In terms of quality, you’re definitely getting your money’s worth with this palette. I actually think the colour pay off is considerably better than most higher end palettes that cost at least double the price. Every single colour in the palette pops with the smallest amount of product which means that the palette will last a long while before hitting pan.

I will say that it’s important to use the right make-up brushes, they apply much better by packing on the colour with a flat headed brush and then blending it out with a fluffy brush. If I go straight in with a fluffy brush, the colour doesn’t come out quite as vibrant as I’d like. I would also recommend priming your eyes (I use concealer to do this) because it creates a blank canvas, allowing the colours to stand out even more.

These shadows are incredibly easy to blend out; I love this as it gives the impression I’ve spent hours perfecting the perfect blend until my arm aches, when in reality it’s taken me a few seconds. I’m really happy that I took the plunge to buy this palette as it’s helped me get back into experimenting with more colours in my make-up rather than always going for the same thing.

Here are some swatches of the palette, feast your eyes on the gorgeous variety of colours.

Here are two looks that I’ve created using this palette. Naturally, I had to go for a rainbow eye considering the wide amount of colour options but I was also really loving the darker purples and blues. It felt so spoilt for choice with options, I’m definitely going to be creating plenty more looks with this palette in the future.

Rainbow

Smokey Blue & Purple

Other products used in these looks: Nip+Fab Viper Venom Micro Blur Fix, Rimmel Lasting Finish Breathable Foundation in ‘Ivory’, Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in ‘Fair’, Rimmel Natural Bronzing Powder in ‘Sunlight’, Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder in ‘Translucent’, Ardell False Lashes Baby Demi Wispies, NYX Worth the Hype Mascara, Sleek Solstice Highlighting Palette, Too Faced Funfetti Ultra Plush Lip Gloss in ‘Mocha Freeze’, Rimmel London Brow This Way Eyebrow Kit in ‘Dark Brown’, Yves Saint Laurent Dessin Du Regard Waterproof Liner in ‘Aegan Blue.’What looks would you create with this palette?

1. July 23, 2018 / 8:04 pm

I love the looks you’ve created with this! This palette would be a little out there for me with all the bright colours x

Ashleigh | ashleighwrites.co.uk

• July 23, 2018 / 9:50 pm

Trust me, it was for me too! It was so fun it play around with something new though x

2. July 23, 2018 / 10:03 pm

The palette looks so good! I’m obsessed with bright eyeshadow looks. I really like the rainbow look you created Xx
    thefashionfemme.blogspot.com

• July 24, 2018 / 8:34 am

It’s so fun for getting creative! Thank you so much 🙂 xx

3. July 23, 2018 / 10:09 pm

I love these NYX palettes, I hav the warm neutrals one but the brights is fab for festival season! your makeup looks are fab!

• July 23, 2018 / 10:10 pm

I think I’m gonna have to get the warm neutrals one just because it’s SO me, gotta stick to my warm toned roots haha. Thank you! x

4. July 24, 2018 / 11:26 am

Those eye looks you did look absolutely INCREDIBLE. I love the blue / purple one. I’d love to see more super bright eye shadow looks from you! I’m definitely not brave enough (or talented enough!) to do anything like this but this looks like an amazing palette.

• July 27, 2018 / 2:51 pm

Thank you so much, Jenny! I definitely want to do more in the future, keep your eyes peeled haha. You would definitely pull it off, it’s fun to experiment! x

5. July 25, 2018 / 11:34 am

So gorgeous for those who like a pop of colour 😍

• July 27, 2018 / 2:50 pm

Thank you so much!! They’re definitely my fave too xx

6. July 25, 2018 / 1:42 pm

These looks are beyond stunning, I can’t pick which one I love more although the blue purple one is definitely a more every day wearable one of course! I love that you’re starting to experiment a bit more as the bright colours clearly suit you so well (although I do love the warm toned looks on you too). The blue and purple look makes your eye colour pop so much! I am really bloody excited to see more looks and I definitely think you should do a greeny one to go with your eyes or maybe even teal, that’d be super funky. I think my favourite shades in the palette would have to be the bottom right corner yellow and orange!

• July 27, 2018 / 2:50 pm

Yeah I could actually see me wearing the blue and purple one out, I’d be a bit scared to go out with rainbow eyes! Maybe one day, haha. Awww thank you so much Al, I definitely do need to do a green look as I’m loving the ones I’m seeing on Pinterest/Instagram etc. at the moment. Ooh good choice, I loooove the bright orange! xx

7. July 25, 2018 / 5:56 pm

Love these looks so much! Really need to get this palette now 😍

• July 27, 2018 / 2:48 pm

Thanks Simone! You definitely should, I’m in love x

8. jazziepickles
    July 25, 2018 / 10:36 pm

I’ve eyed up this palette more than once and always been scared off by how bold the colours are. I wanna delve into more vibrant colours so I might actually pick this up ! The rainbow eye look you created is really nice by the way!!

• July 27, 2018 / 2:47 pm

Ahhhh do it!! I want to see what you can create 🙂 Thanks Jasmine x

9. July 26, 2018 / 5:44 pm

Alice, I LOVE the rainbow look you created – so so beautiful!! I definitely need to experiement with my colours a bit more and will try to when this weather chills out and my makeup won’t melt down my face 😂 deffo want to give this palette a try – I love NYX and haven’t heard of this one before! Great post lovely! ❤️❤️

• July 27, 2018 / 2:45 pm

Thanks Gab! I’d love to see what ideas you come up with. Trust me, I can’t keep this make-up on for long when it’s this hot haha. I’d definitely recommend it if you’re wanting to experiment! xx

• August 1, 2018 / 7:15 pm

I bet you’d look amazing! Thank you so much 🙂 xx