Beauty Products I Regret Buying

Over the years of being a lover of make-up, I’ve discovered some absolute holy grail beauty products but I’ve unfortunately come across some really disappointing purchases as well. It’s always very annoying to have spent your hard-earned money to end up hating a product, so trust me when I say I have really tried my best to get along with every product mentioned. Some of these beauty products are widely loved, so you might be a bit shocked to see them on a list of regretful purchases! These are just some of the things I’ve come across that haven’t worked for me personally and just fell completely flat.

Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

This foundation was hyped up from the moment it was released with everyone praising it for having amazing staying power and the best coverage ever. Now trust me, I really really wanted to love this foundation. That’s mainly because I spent £19 on it which is a bit of a splurge for me – but still, I was really hoping to have found a holy-grail worthy foundation here. Unfortunately, I just ended up hating it. I’ve tried so many different ways of applying this product; with a damp beauty blender, with a brush, with my fingers, with primer, without primer – you name it. No matter what way I applied it, it just didn’t want to stay on my face at all. I would try and blend it onto my face and it would just wipe around rather than sitting on my skin. Another big thing was that it sunk into and clung onto every tiny line, dry patch and pore on my face, making me look about 40 years older. I have no idea how people get this foundation to work because I’ve tried everything to no avail and I was gutted to have wasted so much money.

A much better alternative to the Kat Von D foundation is Revlon Colorstay; this has been my favourite foundation for years now, it gives the most amazing coverage and stays put all day. It’s one of the only foundations that doesn’t seep really deep into my laugh lines and it’s super easy to apply. Plus, it’s only £12.99 in Superdug, so it’s a fair bit cheaper than the Kat Von D one yet produces way better results for me.

L’Oreal Infallible Total Cover Foundation

This is another foundation that generated quite a bit of hype; one day I was in Superdrug when I overhead a group of girls talking about how amazing and full coverage this new foundation was. I ended up asking them what product they were talking about and picked myself up a tube with the promise that this would make my skin look flawless. I was so excited to go home and try it out. However, when I first squeezed some product out of the tube I was surprised at just how thick the consistency was. I wanted to give it a proper chance though so I applied it to my face and I could already tell I wasn’t going to like it. It felt so heavy and thick, it felt as though I was wearing a clay face mask. Don’t get me wrong, it definitely provides amazing coverage but I personally hate when it feels like your make-up is weighing down your face. This is another foundation that also sinks into every little imperfection on my face, particularly my laugh lines. Another thing that I noticed upon applying was that the colour I picked out matched me perfectly but after about 10 minutes it had oxidised about five shades darker. Strong pass!

Rimmel London Hide the Blemish Concealer

I remember having this concealer years ago, I’m pretty sure it was one of the first make-up products I ever used because I wanted to cover up those pesky teenage spots (that I’m still getting at the age of 23, ha). I’ve since realised that all this product does is highlight every blemish, making it stand out more rather than being concealed. It also dries my skin out like crazy which just makes the spots stand out more and get worse. I’ve tried using this as an under-eye concealer as well and the stick just ends up wiping off the rest of your foundation so it’s pretty difficult to work with. It’s way too dry to swipe across your face, I’m such a liquid concealer lover now that I would never go back to these sticks.

I’m so glad that I discovered the Collection concealer as this is such a staple in my make-up bag and a way better alternative to the stick concealers. It blends in with your foundation to really cover up any darkness or redness rather than just making it more prominent. I find liquid concealer so much easier to work with, it just glides right on and Collection do the job perfectly!

Rimmel London Wonder’Fully Real Mascara

Luckily, I didn’t waste my money with this one because it was a free gift offer from buying 3 other Rimmel products. I was really excited to try this mascara which I think is why I felt so let down. I’d looked at before and after photos of the application and it seemed to make the shortest of eyelashes look really long and fluttery. My hopes were too high and it just fell completely flat for me. This mascara has little fibers inside with the intention of giving the appearance of fuller, longer eyelashes but I just found that the fibers got into my eyes and fell onto my under-eyes. This mascara also got clumpy and dry after just a couple of uses, definitely not worth the purchase in my opinion.

An affordable mascara that has never let me down is Maybelline Lash Sensational. I’ve been through my fair share of drugstore mascaras and this is by far the best of the bunch for me. It gives amazing length and thickness to my lashes, it stays on all day and it doesn’t go clumpy at all. It’s also really easy to build up depending on whether you’re going for a natural look or a bolder appearance.

Eylure Brow Magician

I first came across Eylure as a brand through Fleur de Force, a YouTuber I’ve watched ever since I first starting using YouTube. She brought out her own range of beauty products in collaboration with Eylure, speaking of which I still need to try out. I was browsing through their selection in Superdrug and saw Brow Magician – it has an eyebrow pencil on one side and an eyebrow gel on the other end with a wand to apply it. I found the concept really cool but unfortunately it just didn’t impress me at all. I only actually managed to use the pencil once before it broke completely off. It was also super difficult to apply as the pencil was way too dry for any product to actually show up. I was hoping that the eyebrow gel would at least be a little better but unfortunately it was really clumpy upon applying and then flakes off all over my face throughout the day.

My absolute shining star when it comes to eyebrows has got to be Rimmel’s Brow This Way eyebrow kit. It has a pomade, a powder, a small application brush and a mini eyebrow brush. I constantly get asked what I use on my eyebrows and I always recommend this to everyone. It’s so versatile depending on how you apply it as the powder gives such a natural brow whereas the pomade can help to make them much bolder. No matter what eyebrow products I try, I always end up coming back to this one!

What beauty products do you regret buying?

1. July 6, 2018 / 10:33 am

I feel bad the Rimmel London Wonder’Fully Real Mascara didn’t work for you! It’s by far one of my favorite mascaras and I’m a very loyal Covergirl user. XOXO.

• July 9, 2018 / 12:21 pm

I’ve never actually used any Covergirl products so I can’t compare! Unfortunately I just didn’t get on with it, there’s been other Rimmel mascaras I’ve loved but this one just didn’t match up for me 🙂 x

2. July 6, 2018 / 2:56 pm

Not gonna lie, I do really love the Kat Von D foundation! But saying that, I barely ever use it as I feel it’s just too thick for me to wear now. As much as I want flawless skin, I can’t handle the weight of thick foundation anymore and my skin HATES me when I wear it too. I haven’t tried any of the other products actually but seeing as we have similar skin types I’ll be sure to steer clear… Totally agree with Lash Sensational. I don’t know how I’d ever use anything else now and I’ve never found anything that compares! Although I’ve seen people hyping that L’oreal paradise lash or whatever it’s called, I would like to try it as the packaging is also pretty…

• July 9, 2018 / 12:23 pm

That’s the thing, it is so so thick, it would be great for make-up looks in terms of getting flawless skin for high quality photos so I really wish it applied properly on my face – so annoying! Now that I’ve been converted to BB cream, heavy foundation just feels like way too much for me now. Lash Sensation is just bloody amazing! And I’ve had my eye on that for a while, I might have to give it a go as I’m seeing more and more fab reviews on it x

3. July 6, 2018 / 6:06 pm

I’m with Alice on the Kat Von D Lock It – the girl at the counter in Debenhams said you need to apply a setting powder on top as soon as you’ve finished applying which I’ve found stops it moving around on your face and creasing! But I’m with you on the L’Oréal foundation – FAR too thick and clumpy for my liking! Great post lovely, I love seeing what people don’t like too – makes a change! ❤️❤️

• July 9, 2018 / 12:24 pm

I do usually apply a powder anyway, maybe I just needed to be quicker with applying?! Thanks for the tip though 🙂 It is, it’s basically like a thick mousse! Thank you lovely, I love a good honest moan every now and then haha x

4. jazziepickles
    July 8, 2018 / 8:15 pm

I couldn’t get the Lock it foundation to work either. It looked amazing when the counter girl tested it on my but when it came to applying myself it practically slid of my face (regardless of the amount of primer and setting powder I applied)

• July 9, 2018 / 12:25 pm

I’m glad it isn’t just me!! I was starting to feel like the only one haha x

5. July 9, 2018 / 9:56 am

Mine was a No7 foundation – I did the skin match test in store, she applied it in store with a brush, it looked great. I bought it (and a brush), took it home and then no matter what it just didn’t match or sit right on my skin. And I’m too pale to then fob it off to anyone else in my family so it ended up being binned.
    Cora | http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

• July 9, 2018 / 12:26 pm

I’ve never tried it, I love their shade range but I’ve never actually picked up a bottle – that’s such a shame that it didn’t work for you. I’m super pale too haha, you’re not alone there x

6. July 9, 2018 / 11:50 am

I’ve always heard great things about the Kat Von D Foundation, but funnily enough I’ve never been intrigued enough to actually purchase it either – I highly dislike thick foundation, so I think I’ll steer clear of this one. I loved this post Alice xo

• July 9, 2018 / 12:29 pm

So have I, that’s why it’s so frustrating that it didn’t work for me as I really wanted it to! But yeah I’d definitely steer clear if you don’t like heavy coverage 🙂 Thanks Char x

7. July 11, 2018 / 10:15 pm

This was such a good post I love how honest you were about all the different products! I’ve heard such good things about the Kat Von D foundation but I definitely won’t be trying it now, I’ve just picked up the Revlon colourstay to test but my fave drugstore one is Maybelline 24hr Superstay! I also agree about the Rimmel mascara I found it transferred onto my under eyes so bad and didn’t actually do much for my lashes. Personally I haven’t tried that Eylure product you mentioned but I do love their brow pomade!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

• July 16, 2018 / 12:16 pm

Honesty is the best policy! Haha. For a lot of people it seems to work wonders but for me personally, not so much. I absolutely love Revlon Colourstay but I haven’t tried the Maybelline one, maybe I’ll have to give it a go! I’m glad it’s not just me that didn’t like the mascara. Ooh maybe the pomade is a little better! x

8. July 11, 2018 / 11:04 pm

That’s too bad about the Kat Von D foundation — while I found it to be incredible in terms of staying power, its ingredients didn’t agree with my skin and I broke out every single time I wore it. Not to mention, it was a bit too yellow on my skin tone.

Hopefully you find some great products soon! x

Michelle
    dressingwithstyle-s.com

• July 16, 2018 / 12:26 pm

Oh no!! See for me, the colour matched perfectly it was just that the formula didn’t work on my face. The alternatives I’ve mentioned are definitely the ones I’ll be sticking to! x

9. July 11, 2018 / 11:08 pm

I used to love that Rimmel concealer when I was a teenager! But you’re totally right about its flaws!

• July 16, 2018 / 12:09 pm

So did I, but now I realise how much I actually dislike it haha! x

10. July 19, 2018 / 12:28 am

I love reading these types of posts! I definitely will not be trying out the Kat Von d foundation as I am generally not a fan of think foundation! xx

• July 20, 2018 / 9:59 am

I’m with you on that one! I’ve gone right off anything heavy coverage at the moment. Glad you enjoyed the post 🙂 x

11. July 23, 2018 / 4:04 pm

I really regret buying the naked 3 palette, which is a shame because I love my naked 3. The quality and the amount of looks that you could create were all so lacking! But it’s all okay because my morphe palettes are to die for!

12. BethRebecca
    August 4, 2018 / 3:25 pm

I have way too many products I regret buying but most recently I got the Urban Decay All Nighter Foundation which so many people say is amazing but it was just so dry and thick on my skin it was horrible!

Beth x | https://bethrebecca.com/

13. August 13, 2018 / 8:50 am

I also don’t like thick foundations so will stay clear of those – I was actually considering the L’Oréal infallible so thank you! This post was really good, I love how you provided alternatives!

Jas xx