Summer Make-Up Tips to Beat the Heat

At the risk of sounding extremely British by always complaining about the weather, I’ve honestly never really been a fan of Summer. I much prefer shoving on a ridiculously oversized woolly jumper and wearing five pairs of socks to dealing with sunburn, chub rub and battering my feet in “cute” sandals. With that being said, through trial and error I’ve managed to find some ways that work for me in terms of wearing Summer make-up. Many of us know the feeling of your make-up melting off throughout the day to the point you may as well never have bothered, so I thought I’d share some of the little tips that work for me.

First of all, foundation becomes an absolute no-no for me the minute that sun starts beating down. You can guarantee that within minutes, it will end up streaky all over my face with half of it ending up on my shirt. With that, I introduce to you my absolute saving grace – BB cream. This is basically a moisturiser type consistency with a tint of coverage that I think is so perfect for a Summer look. My favourite BB cream at the moment is Garnier’s BB Cream for Oily/Combination Skin. I’m such an advocate of embracing your natural freckles; this BB cream hides any redness and fatigue whilst still allowing your freckles to peep through and gives you a really nice natural glow. Plus, it takes way less time to apply that foundation as you just rub it onto your face with your fingers like a regular moisturiser. This saves a decent amount of getting ready time in the morning which is always a plus – does anyone else feel constantly shattered from the heat!? Maybe that’s just my lazy tendencies.

Another thing I cannot recommend more is waterproof mascara. I’ve been using my trusty Maybelline Lash Sensational for years now but unfortunately the heat means that it ends up smudged under my eyes. I have quite hooded eyelids as well which seems to make the problem a lot worse. Luckily, Maybelline do a waterproof version of the same mascara so I just switched my regular one up for this one and it completely eliminated the problem – not a black smudge in sight! If this is a problem you find yourself having then definitely pick up a waterproof Lash Sensational, it’s by far my holy grail mascara.

A very important thing that can completely change your make-up game is a good primer. For some reason, I find these very hard to come by – my skin gets extremely oily in the Summer and I thought it had proved impossible to find a primer to combat this. Luckily, I have now found my true love – Nip and Fab’s Viper Venom. The smell is so fresh, it makes my skin completely matte and smooth and it eliminates my larger than life pores. I honestly cannot recommend this primer enough to anyone that suffers with oily skin. I also need the scent bottled up into a perfume or something because I’m actually obsessed.

I would always recommend using a setting spray all throughout the year, not just in Summer but I’ve taught myself a little trick for when it’s hotter. I’ve started to apply my setting spray in layers rather than just one coat of spray at the end which makes my make-up last so much longer. I like to apply my base make-up (foundation, concealer and cream contour) and then spray a coat of setting spray, apply powder products and do another spritz and then again at the very end when my full face is done. This has made a huge difference to the lasting power of my make-up. Just for reference, I’ve been using MUA’s Pro Base Fixing Mist religiously for a while now. It’s only £5 a bottle and it’s up there with the higher end setting sprays in my opinion – definitely pick one up if you’re in Superdrug.

As disgusting as it may sound, I tend to get quite a lot of humidity targeted in my eye area – I think this is due to my eyes being hooded. This means that if I’m wearing regular eyeshadow, no matter how good quality my eyeshadow is or how much setting spray I use, it can still end up patchy and disappear throughout the day. The way I’ve combatted this problem is by switching to liquid eyeshadows. I’ve been using Collection’s Glam Crystals Liquid Eyeshadows; they apply as a liquid and then dry down to a blendable powder but they stay completely put no matter what the weather conditions. They’re only £3.99 each which I think is an absolute bargain as they’re definitely on par with the likes of Stila liquid shadows. My personal favourite shade at the moment is ‘Aura’, a gorgeous pearly pink that I used on my lid for the make-up look pictured.

Do you have any go-to make-up tips for the Summer season?

Products used for this look: Nip and Fab Viper Venom, Rimmel London Lasting Finish Breathable Foundation in ‘Ivory’, Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in ‘Fair’, Rimmel London Stay Matte Pressed Powder in ‘Translucent’, Morphe 35O2 Second Nature Eyeshadow Palette, Collection Cosmetics Glam Crystals Liquid Eyeshadow in ‘Aura’, Maybelline Lash Sensational Waterproof Mascara in ‘Very Black’, Rimmel London Natural Bronzer in ‘Sun Glow’, Sleek Solstice Highlighter Palette, Rimmel London Brow This Way in ‘Dark Brown’, Tarte Glowlight Luminising Wand, Colourpop Ultra Matte Liquid Lipstick in ‘Solow’, The Gypsy Shrine Face Gems.

1. July 5, 2018 / 8:51 pm

LOVE this makeup look! I really find setting my face with loose powder has been really amazing at keeping me shine free. Also exfoliating my skin 1-2 a week helps unclog my pores from dirt and sweat, ew haha and has helped the appearance of my makeup 🙂 xx

• July 5, 2018 / 9:09 pm

Thank you so much! Setting powder is a right lifesaver isn’t it?! Ahh yeah another good point x

2. July 5, 2018 / 9:23 pm

Absolutely loving the gems under your eyes – major festival vibes and you look bloody gorgeous!! And I really want to give a B.B. cream another go, I tried one years ago (cannot remember who it was by lol) but deffo need something nicer for the summer months – it’s far too warm to be fannying around the with foundation 😂 great post lovely and beautiful images ❤️❤️

• July 5, 2018 / 9:24 pm

Thank you so so much Gab!! I honestly swear by BB cream now and it’s perfect for me because I’m so lazy haha. You’re the sweetest x

3. July 5, 2018 / 9:23 pm

Oh man I NEED that viper venom primer!! It sounds so good and like it’d be amazing for my skin too. I’d definitely say I’m more combination than oily but my nose and all around it just tends to sweat like a bitch all year round, especially in Summer! I can’t believe I haven’t seen the Collection liquid shadows yet. I adore the glitter liners they do but I haven’t gotten around to trying much more of their eye makeup! I am definitely going to have a thorough stalk of their site after seeing this look as it is GORGEOUS. I absolutely love your makeup looks and would be so up for seeing more. The gems are such a cute touch too!

• July 5, 2018 / 9:25 pm

It’s honestly amazing Al, I would strongly recommend it! My nose is the exact same haha. They’re so good! I need all of the colours now. I was obsessing over their silver and gold glitter eyeliners over the Christmas period, I love them! Thank you lovely xx

4. July 5, 2018 / 10:58 pm

I love using bb cream in summer – I love Dr Jart’s! Those gems look amazing – soooo festival ready!

• July 10, 2018 / 7:26 pm

Ooh I’ve never heard of Dr Jarts before! I’ll have to have a look. Thanks Beth x

5. jazziepickles
    July 8, 2018 / 8:25 pm

I swear by BB cream in the warmer months. Doesn’t feel heavy for melt off which is perfect! Sometimes mixing a tiny bit of foundation with moisturiser works just as well x

• July 10, 2018 / 7:27 pm

Me too! It’s a lifesaver. Ooh I might have to give that a try x

6. July 9, 2018 / 10:06 am

Fab tips, and I love the photos!
    I’m still searching for a new BB Cream after my go-to was discontinued. When I can I go completely without makeup in the summer, and I’ve found that La Roche-Posay’s facial SPF matte finish is great on my skin.
    Cora | http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

• July 10, 2018 / 7:27 pm

I’m glad you’ve found one that works for you! I love the Garnier one and apparently Nars do a great one too x

7. July 10, 2018 / 9:16 pm

These are great tips, I haven’t heard of that setting spray but will definitely have to try it if it does the job as it’ll be much cheaper than my Urban Decay one! I love the eyeshadow look you’ve created too it’s gorgeous!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

• July 10, 2018 / 10:13 pm

It’s so good and so affordable! Definitely my favourite drugstore setting spray, it’s a game changer. Thank you so much! x

• July 10, 2018 / 10:12 pm

Thank you! I hope you found some of the tips useful 🙂 x

8. July 10, 2018 / 9:51 pm

love the makeup look you did! so fun and creative, yet simple and achievable! these are some really great tips for summer makeup! i love that maybelline mascara but i’ve never tried the waterproof one!

• July 10, 2018 / 10:12 pm

Thank you so much! I’m glad you like it. It’s honestly just as amazing, I would definitely recommend it for the Summer! x

9. July 10, 2018 / 9:56 pm

I never thought of switching to waterproof mascara for the summer, good idea! I spray my setting spray in layers too. Love this post✨💗

• July 10, 2018 / 10:09 pm

It works so much better, no more melting mascara down my face! Haha. I’m glad I started doing it, it’s so much better in terms of making my make-up last longer x

10. July 10, 2018 / 10:24 pm

This looks so lovely on you! waterproof mascara is so good this time of year for my hayfever and setting spray is a must!

• July 10, 2018 / 10:24 pm

I swear by both now, Summer make-up would just not last without them! Thanks lovely x

11. Lena Dee
    July 10, 2018 / 10:32 pm

Awww this is such a cute and festive look! I love seeing makeup details like this. Maybe I should do something similar for my carnival at home coming up. Lol if you don’t like summer then you definitely hate where I live. You’d roast/melt on a daily. It’s always scorching here or raining. Great post hun!💁🏽‍♀️☀️☔️

xx Lena | https://lenadeexo.com

• July 10, 2018 / 10:35 pm

Thank you Lena! I’d definitely love to see if you do create something similar, that would be really cool. I just don’t think the UK is really very prepared for such heat, we have nothing in the way of air con or anything like that so it’s just constantly sweaty everywhere. Thank you! x

12. July 10, 2018 / 10:43 pm

I’ve definitely been trying to figure out makeup tips for the summer.. I have the same issues you have and I get so upset when I can’t wear my eyeshadow because it creases when it gets too hot.. thanks for the tips💓

• July 11, 2018 / 6:36 am

It’s so annoying! Liquid eyeshadow is the way forward haha, thank you so much 🙂 x

13. July 10, 2018 / 11:23 pm

Oh my god! This looks absolutely incredible! I love the gems under your eyes. I’m getting major festival vibes. I have quite dry skin so thankfully my makeup still hold up fairly well in the heat x

Sophie

• July 11, 2018 / 6:35 am

Thank you so much! Ahh see my skin is oily/combination so I have a lot of trouble in problem areas, these tips have definitely helped the problem though x

14. July 12, 2018 / 11:30 am

This eye makeup is absolutely gorgeous! I think that I should maybe try a BB Cream for the Summer months. I used to use it but not anymore so maybe I should try it again x

• July 16, 2018 / 12:09 pm

I would definitely recommend it! So much lighter and way less effort x

15. July 12, 2018 / 10:19 pm

Thank you so much for the ideas. When it’s hot I tend to skip foundation. I wear maybelline as well, will check and see if it’s waterproof.

• July 16, 2018 / 12:07 pm

Me too! I can’t be dealing with it when I’m hot. The non-waterproof one is fab too but the waterproof is perfect for Summer! x

16. August 13, 2018 / 8:54 am

OMG I’ve been looking for a cheap liquid eyeshadow and didn’t realise collection sold them – definitely gonna have a browse! That setting spray layers trick sounds like such a good shout for the summer, deff gonna give it a go!

Jas xx