Make-Up Brushes: How To Clean Them

Cleaning make-up brushes is probably one of my least favourite things to do. I constantly put it off for probably way longer than I should do, am I alone in this? However, when I do decide that it’s been far too long and force my lazy self to wash them, I feel like I’ve got a pretty fool proof method. I don’t use any crazy expensive products and it’s so quick and easy to do. So I thought I’d share this method with you because let’s face it – the quicker it takes, the better.

As you can see, my brushes get pretty disgusting because of how long I leave them for – just being real. I like to basically double cleanse them just to ensure I’m getting everything out of them and they’re getting a really deep clean. The first product I use is super affordable, you’ve probably already got it by your bathroom sink – hand wash. That’s it. No expensive special soap, just your bog standard hand wash. My personal favourite to use is Carex because I’ve found that it makes my brushes extra soft. Plus, they do so many different scents so your brushes will be smelling amazing afterwards.

The first thing I do is get my tap running to the right temperature which is a pretty important step – I have my water lukewarm verging on cold because if you soak your brushes in anything too hot, it will misshape the bristles. Then I run them under the tap, make sure to hold them so that the bristles face downwards so that water isn’t getting into the handle as this can cause rotting over time. After getting them wet, I put a pea sized amount of hand wash on the end and gently massage it in. I like to do this two or three times until the suds come up clean so that I know all the make-up has worked its way out. The next step is just to completely rinse out all of the soap.

The second method of cleansing involves using a product that literally only costs £2 – the PS Makeup Brush Cleaning Spray from Primark. I had no idea Primark did a brush cleanser until I was having a little browse in their beauty section one day and was really intrigued by this. Brush cleansers can be really overpriced so I was excited to see if this would be an effective yet more affordable option. I was not disappointed! Before I included this step in my brush cleaning, my brushes were not nearly as soft and thoroughly clean as they are now that I use this product. All you do is spray each brush a few times, give it a little massage and then rinse the product off. It’s literally that simple and you can visibly see the extra amount of make-up that washes out.

All that’s left to do is leave the brushes to dry. I usually wash mine of a night time and then leave them over night. I lay a towel out on a flat surface and just put each brush side by side, making sure that any brushes with bigger bristles have been smoothed out so that they dry in their proper shape. I like to leave them on a surface above my radiator as I just find that they dry a little quicker this way, meaning they’re ready to use by the morning.

Here’s some rather satisfying before and after photos of my brushes:

So that’s it! I hope you found this useful and I’d definitely recommend trying out the Primark spray, it’s such a little lifesaver.

Do you have any go-to products for cleaning your brushes?

1. April 8, 2018 / 11:53 am

Ooh I love this post! And I’ll put my hands up and admit I’m terrible for not washing my brushes enough, the photos are so bloody satisfying and it makes me feel like I deffo need to get to it tonight! ❤️❤️

• April 8, 2018 / 12:01 pm

I definitely leave it way way too long! I didn’t realise how bad they were until I compared the two photos haha, so satisfying x

2. April 8, 2018 / 2:15 pm

I love the Primark brush cleaner!! My bottle looks a little different so I’m not sure if it’s the same one but it smells so good too! I always use it just to give my brushes a mid-way clean aswell when I can’t be bothered to properly wash them yet haha. I also love washing my brushes with a nice scented soap, it leaves them smelling so nice and I totally agree that it cleans them so thoroughly. I’ve heard some people use washing up liquid but I’m yet to try that!

• April 8, 2018 / 2:20 pm

I got my one a while ago so I’m not sure if they have different ones or they changed the packaging or something? Yeah it’s so good for that! Me too, all my brushes smell like bubblegum now haha. I’ve heard of that for beauty blenders! Need to give it a try I think as mine is so gross now haha x

3. jazziepickles
    April 8, 2018 / 2:53 pm

I really hate cleaning my brushes, need to give that primark spray a try

4. ashton
    April 8, 2018 / 6:07 pm

Impressive method. I willl be giving it a try soon

5. April 15, 2018 / 9:39 am

I have just invested in a style pro as I hate cleaning my brushes. It is great for saving trying time

• May 19, 2018 / 7:04 pm

They do look amazing! I think I may need to invest in one x

• May 19, 2018 / 7:04 pm

I do love Spectrum and Real Techniques, they’re my go-to brands for brushes! x

6. April 17, 2018 / 11:00 am

I always just wash my brushes with baby shampoo as I’ve heard its the least harsh thing to use. I also really need to give mine a wash, this has reminded me of that video I sent after a girl hadn’t washed her brushes. Yep, cleaning them tonight!

Lily | The Wellbeing Edit

• May 19, 2018 / 7:05 pm

Ah yeah baby shampoo is another good one, anything that’s kind on your skin or hair is great for brushes! Haha oh god, seeing that definitely makes me wanna give them a right scrub x

May 14, 2018 / 12:02 am

My routine is pretty similar! I love the Beauty Blender liquid cleanser. It has been my go to for years and one bottle lasts for so long! I’ve also started using the Sigma brush cleaning mat recently and I think it’s incredible, really helps with the process! Xx

Anu | Based On blog

• May 19, 2018 / 7:07 pm

I’ve heard of that, it sounds really good! I’d love to get a cleaning mat or something similar, just to make sure I’m getting a really deep clean xx