Beauty Trends I’m Loving & Hating

I spend a lot of time scrolling through Instagram and watching tons of YouTube videos. In this time, I’ve come across so many interesting and sometimes questionable beauty trends (braided eyebrows, anyone?). I thought it would be fun to talk about some of the trends I’ve seen most recently – some of them are pretty genius but others are… wild. Of course, I completely respect that everyone is different and I fully embrace that but this is just meant to be a bit of a laugh and I mean no offence whatsoever! Let’s jump straight into it.

Trends I’m Loving

Cellotape for Applying Eyeliner/Eyeshadow

I’ve seen so many videos on YouTube and other social media platforms of people using this trick and I just think it’s so clever! Basically, if you’re struggling to get a straight line with your winged eyeliner you can just line up a piece of cellotape in the corner of your eye whilst applying your eyeliner. When you take off the cellotape, you’ll have a really sharp and clean line rather than it being all wobbly. You can also use this trick if you want to wing out your eyeshadow as it makes the wing much more precise. It’s also really great to use when applying any eyeshadows that create fall-out under your eyes as the cellotape helps to protect it from ruining the rest of your make-up.

Concealer in a Big Triangle

This tip is such a game changer when it comes to brightening up your under eyes. Working full-time means that I constantly have dark circles and I’m convinced that no amount of brightening creams can save me at this point. I’ve used concealer for absolutely years now, back in school I’m pretty sure it was one of the first make-up products I learnt to use. I just used to apply it in a semi-circle under my eyes and that was all. However, since getting more into YouTube I’ve seen a lot of beauty gurus that apply their concealer in a huge triangle that carries across over their cheekbones and down their cheeks. At first, I thought this looked a little bit crazy but then I read into why this is the best way to apply it. If you’re trying to cover up dark circles, apparently my semi-circle method just makes them stand out even more. The triangle method means that it blends out easier with the rest of your face rather than making them a feature. I really do think that this has made a massive difference and I’m never going back to my semi-circle ways!

Upside Down Eyeliner

I can’t remember how he came across it but this is actually something that my boyfriend showed me because he thought it looked cool. Admittedly, I was a little sceptical at first because it’s not something I’ve ever done before but I decided to try it out for the purpose of this post. I’ve ended up actually really loving the way it looks, it’s something a little different if you’re looking to experiment with your make-up a little bit. I think that any colour eyeliner would look great but I’m loving the look of brighter colours as I think it helps to awaken your eyes and make them pop.

Trends I’m Not So Much Loving

Baking

I really don’t want to offend anybody here because I know that a lot of people swear by ‘baking.’ This is something that I’ve seen a lot of people start to do over the past couple of years; if you don’t already know, this is where you press a load of loose powder over your concealer with a make-up sponge and leave it to settle for a while before brushing the excess away. This is meant to make your concealer last much longer as well as hiding fine lines under your eyes. I really tried to get on board with this method – I tried loads of different powders, experimented with leaving it on for longer or shorter times and baking over the top of different concealers but it just doesn’t seem to work for me. All it does is make my fine lines worse because they’re getting so caked up with too much product at once. I find it more effective to take a small face brush and lightly tap powder under my eyes, this seems to do a much better job for me personally and feels way more comfortable.

Huge Fake Eyelashes

This is more me failing in my make-up application skills now but I just can’t do fake eyelashes. I’ve tried applying them in different ways, I’ve tried loads of different glues and brands of eyelashes and I always just end up with watery, sticky eyes. I honestly think this is something I’ll just never be able to get the hang of but I’m not actually too bothered. I do think that natural looking fake eyelashes can really add something extra to a make-up look. However, if they’re too big and thick then I think it just looks like they’re weighing your eyes down. I’m honestly not knocking anyone that likes wearing big thick eyelashes if they’re what makes you feel fabulous! This is just my personal preference.

Extreme Cat Eyes

I’ve been seeing a lot of extreme cat eyeliner over Instagram lately and mainly in runway fashion shows. Again, if it makes you feel good then please go for it but this is something I’ll never be able to make work on me. I can’t think of any situation where I’d be able to pull this off, perhaps I’m just not daring enough! This is just not a trend I’m feeling, unfortunately.

What are some of the most obscure trends you’ve come across lately?

1. February 5, 2018 / 10:20 pm

Loved reading these! Tape for eyeshadow is one of my favs too! x

• February 5, 2018 / 10:21 pm

It’s so useful! Gets such a neat line with minimal effort. Glad you liked them x

2. February 5, 2018 / 10:28 pm

Love this post! I didn’t get on with the cello tape hack very well (probably because I applied foundation and setting powder first and the tape lost its stickiness lol) but want to give baking a go – not sure how it’ll bode for my fine lines like you said! And the curly eyebrow thing was pretty odd 😂❤️ Gaby xx

• February 15, 2018 / 3:50 pm

Ahh see I always do my eye make-up first so it works way better! Yeah baking doesn’t work well for me at all, just makes my lines stand out. Yes, that was super strange!! xx

3. February 6, 2018 / 6:47 am

I don’t understand baking either! Well for me I feel like there is not much of a difference. I’ve been doing my concealer like that for a bit and there really is a brightness it brings

4. February 6, 2018 / 4:08 pm

I love the way the eyeshadow looks when using tape but it doesn’t work for me as I always apply my base before so it just kind of ruins it 🙁 I’ve never tried the triangular concealer funnily enough but It’s definitely something I will be trying now! I actually love extreme cat eyes but I feel like they need to be done really neatly and at an angle that suits that individual persons eye shape, not like Amy Winehouse style (although it suited her) otherwise it just looks really tacky!

• February 15, 2018 / 3:52 pm

Ahh, if I do eyeshadow I always do it before my face so I can easily clean up fall-out so it works well for me. Yeah that’s true, sometimes when it’s done well it can look pretty cool xx

February 6, 2018 / 4:26 pm

This is such a great post! I love the cellotape trick, it makes life so much easier! I’ve nver heard of ‘baking’ technique but I don’t like the sound of it so I might just keep away from it without trying. My eyes are so hidden in my skull that if I tried to do the heavy eyeliner look, I’d most likely end up looking like a panda or like I had no eyes as all.

• February 15, 2018 / 3:52 pm

Thank you! Haha I feel like because my eyes are quite hooded, it just looks super odd on me too! xx

6. Veronica Bizzarri
    February 7, 2018 / 9:23 am

I love using cellotape to get a sharp eyeshadow look, it’s such a great hack! Thank you finally I’ve found someone who baking doesn’t work for them either, it literally just ruins my makeup! Even though you don’t like it, i’m digging the big cat eye eyeliner on you haha

Ronnie // http://www.veronicabizzarri.com

xx

• February 15, 2018 / 3:53 pm

It’s so clever isn’t it?! I’m so glad it’s not just me, I’ve never been able to make it work. Oh damn, really?! Thank you xx

7. February 7, 2018 / 12:57 pm

I’ve heard of the cellotape trick but I’ve never been brave enough to try it because I don’t want to feel like I’m “cheating” by not creating a fab crease by myself. But stuff it, your make-up looks fab and I’m going to go for it. That big cat eye looks fab with your eyes btw, even if you’re not into it! x

Rachel // kyvbey.blogspot.com

• February 15, 2018 / 3:55 pm

Haha, go for it gal! It makes life so much easier. Thank you so much!! x

8. February 7, 2018 / 3:02 pm

You have put this so well. I dont see a point to baking and big cay eyes, looks funny in my mind. I love the blue eyeliner

9. February 7, 2018 / 5:25 pm

I have been struggling for SO LONG to get the perfecy eyeliner flick – definitely going to try this next time! Great post x

Francesca | EverythingChessie 🌿

• February 15, 2018 / 3:57 pm

It really helps to get a clean, straight line! I hope it works well for you. Thanks gal x

10. February 8, 2018 / 11:31 am

I absolutely LOVE the cellotape trick for perfecting eyeliner/eyeshadow! I’ve used it soo many times and it’s just genius. I don’t think I could get on board with the baking trend either.. I prefer a more minimal makeup look for sure. I loved this post!xo

• February 15, 2018 / 3:57 pm

It really is, it makes life so much easier! Yeah, cakey just isn’t a look I love personally and that’s what seems to happen if I bake. Thank you! x

11. meganrosel
    February 9, 2018 / 6:21 pm

I love beauty hack posts! x

12. February 11, 2018 / 2:34 pm

Loving all the trends you are loving! Still need to try that cellotape hack ahah. Also I’m totally with you on huge falsies, I just don’t find it pretty and it has to be SOOOO annoying x

Lily | Covet Luxe

• February 15, 2018 / 3:58 pm

Try it, it’s so much easier! Literally, they must get irritating as hell. I definitely couldn’t wear them for long at all haha x

February 11, 2018 / 8:51 pm

haha I loved reading this! Your pictures are amazing-Ive never tried baking but heard so much about it! As I said on your insta that under eye eyeliner looks amazing! Im so not a fan of huge lashes too! I cant be dealing with them!

Emily xx

• February 15, 2018 / 3:59 pm

Thank you so much! Ahhh they’re a right pain, I’ll pass haha xx

February 13, 2018 / 9:38 pm

I actually love baking! It definitely doesn’t work with all powders, they need to be very fine and my favourite is the Laura Mercier one. Applying concealer in the shape of a triangle is a game changer! 🙂 x

Anu | Based On blog

• February 15, 2018 / 4:02 pm

I use a really amazing Rimmel loose powder but it just feels way too cakey for me, less is more on my face otherwise it just looks all dried out haha x

• March 18, 2018 / 4:03 pm

It’s such a clever little trick for a nice clean line! x

15. jazziepickles
    February 21, 2018 / 8:45 pm

Baking is hard to get right. For ages I couldn’t get the hang of it without looking cakey and heavy on my face. Now I use a baking powder from makeup revolution and it’s working really well

• March 18, 2018 / 4:04 pm

Ooh I’ll have to look out for that! I know they do a banana powder which I’d love to try out x

16. February 27, 2018 / 11:21 pm

wow I loved this 😀 I love the photos next to each statement 😀 I agree with tape for eyeshadow, baking and fake eyelashes. I can’t do my wing so wing on top or bottom is all the same to me – non existent haha

xo Honey – blog Royal LifestyleTwitterInstagram

• March 18, 2018 / 4:07 pm

Thank you so much! Haha, trust me it took years to practice doing wings, they’re super tricky x