My New Year’s Resolutions

I’m not usually one for making new year’s resolutions as such because I think if you want to do something, why wait until a new year to do it? You could start at any time, not just in a new year! However, I do understand that feeling of wanting to start a fresh page and I have got a couple of goals that I want work harder on. I’ve started things over the past couple of months that I haven’t necessarily stuck to or fully committed myself to so it’s more about focusing harder on these things in the future.

Learn Japanese

I’m going to Japan with my boyfriend and two of our friends in November 2018 so one thing I really want to make the effort to do is learn the language. I can’t promise that I’m going to have learnt a whole new language come next year but I want to try my very best at it. I’ve always said that if you’re travelling to another country, wherever you go you should know how to say basic manners in their language. I have the worst memory so learning languages has always been a challenge for me but I want to face things head on rather than just say I can’t do it. I have an app on my phone called Memrise that was helping me to learn Japanese but I sort of abandoned it recently. All you have to do is spend around ten minutes daily revising different words and symbols. Ten minutes really isn’t too much time to give up and the app gives you little daily reminders as well, so I’ve not really got any excuse!

Keep Budgeting Money

I wrote a whole post a while ago on all the different ways I’m making changes to save money, if you’re interested in how I’ve been doing this you can read up on my tips here. I feel like I’ve been pretty good at resisting some of my bad spending habits but I could definitely still work on it. It’s been a little more challenging with Christmas as I get so excited to buy things for other people, trying to justify it because they’re “not for me, they’re for someone else.” It’s going to be such a big focus for me throughout 2018 though so that I can afford my trip to Japan and get more savings for general life under my wing. If anyone has any other money saving tips or pointers on how to make a bit of extra money, please let me know!

Maintain A Gym Routine

When I first signed up for the gym, I was actually quite good at going regularly. I’d go around three times a week after work for about an hour. However, this has seemed to slowly deteriorate to less visits and less time spent in the gym. I really want to pick this back up and get myself back into a proper routine. It’s so hard to get motivated but I just need to focus on the fact that it’s what’s best for my body and wellbeing. I actually feel like it’ll be a lot easier to do in the new year because a lot of people tend to make it their resolutions. What will be harder is when the ‘fresh start’ feeling has fizzled out, I’ve just got to keep pressing on!

Hopefully I can keep on top of my goals, it’ll make me feel so much better in the long run. What are your resolutions for the new year?

1. December 31, 2017 / 12:27 pm

Yaaas you go girl, I’m sure you can get back into the gym, it’s pretty addictive once you start again! And if you’ve saved quite a bit of money already, I’m sure you can keep that momentum going 🙂 I’m soo jealous of your trip to Japan, so excited to see blog post and pictures afterwards!

• January 2, 2018 / 4:19 pm

Yeah, just gotta get back into the swing of things! I can’t wait to go and take lots of photos, it’s such a beautiful country xx

2. December 31, 2017 / 4:09 pm

I love reading some realistic goals! And how exciting about Japan!!! I try to learn some basic phrases when I go somewhere as I find it incredibly embarrassing to assume everyone speaks English 😉 would love to hear some updates on these! ❤️

• January 2, 2018 / 4:20 pm

Yeah it does really help to at least know some basic phrases! Thanks lovely, will definitely blog about it if I’m successful x

3. December 31, 2017 / 4:29 pm

So lovely seeing people set themselves goals! Learning a new language will be so cool !!
    All the best poppet xo

• January 2, 2018 / 4:24 pm

Really want to better myself this year and for it to stick long-term! Thanks lovely x

4. Ashton
    December 31, 2017 / 9:04 pm

I wish you the best with these goals. I know you will succeed

January 1, 2018 / 12:01 am

Learning a new language is so exciting yet challenging! I’ve always loved Spanish and Italian and I really want to learn at least one of them this year. Maintaining a gym routine is also on my list as I started going to the gym but I’ve only been there 3 times in the last month… I really want to start going twice a week 🙂 x

• January 2, 2018 / 4:26 pm

It’s definitely going to be tricky! I’ve at least got to give it a proper go though. Yeah I literally went once or twice in December, oops. I’d love to get a proper routine of at least 3 times a week, that’s such a big goal for me x

6. January 1, 2018 / 1:35 pm

Go girl!
    My new years resolutions are the exact same as yours. Let’s motivate eachother! xx

• January 2, 2018 / 4:24 pm

Thanks! Yeah for sure, it makes it so much easier to have a support system xx

• January 2, 2018 / 4:23 pm

Thanks lovely! Yeah I’ll definitely be blogging about it so keep your eyes peeled haha x

7. January 2, 2018 / 11:09 am

these are actually really realistic goals. I always set some I can’t achieve haha
    as for the Japanese, you can always learn just few sentences to sound polite and to know your way around 😀 I think this language is so complicated. let me know how the studying will go 😀

xo Honey – blog Royal LifestyleTwitterInstagram

• January 2, 2018 / 4:21 pm

Yeah I’m trying not to push myself too far, gotta be real with myself about what I can actually achieve. I definitely want to at least know a few basic phrases. I will do! x

8. January 3, 2018 / 3:01 am

Ohh looks good! Let me know how you get on with the Japanese haha I’d love to go Japan! Xx

Sophia | Sophia’s Sphere | pearlsofsphere.blog

• January 9, 2018 / 9:20 am

I’m so excited! Hoping there’s lots to blog about when I return haha x

9. January 4, 2018 / 9:34 pm

Yas girl! You can totally do it! I used to not believe in doing resolutions either but really got into it this year!

10. January 5, 2018 / 8:07 pm

These are great resolutions! I’m trying to budget and save money too – good luck! Have an amazing time in Japan!x

Francesca | everythingchessie.co.uk 🌿

• January 9, 2018 / 9:24 am

Good luck to you too! We got this. Thanks lovely, I’m sure I’ll be blogging about it! x

11. January 6, 2018 / 8:58 am

We definitely have so similar goals, but there is no way I can see myself learning Japanese – I wish you all the luck in the world though, and I hope you manage to stick to it! 🙊 I want to keep saving money this year though, and I also want to incoperate more exercise into my lifestyle because I’m such a naturally lazy person.. 😂🤷🏼‍♀️ I have faith in you managing to stick to a gym routine, and after a while, you’ll start to really love going, I’m sure! 🙊

• January 9, 2018 / 9:25 am

It’s going to be very tricky but I’m hoping to at least know some basics by the time I go! Fingers crossed. Hahaha, I’m with you, I’m mega lazy. I really want to prove to myself that I can do it though, even if it’s a big struggle. Thanks so much! Don’t know about that 😉 x

12. lolitambonita
    January 6, 2018 / 6:23 pm

oh you go girl! my cousin studied Japanese and went for 3 weeks last year and she loved it! I would also live to stick to my gym routine x

• January 9, 2018 / 9:26 am

Haha it’s so much easier to say it than do it, isn’t it?! Hopefully we can both kick butt though x

• January 9, 2018 / 9:26 am

It’s tricky but I’m trying to think of the pay-off! x

13. January 6, 2018 / 9:52 pm

These are some great new year’s resolutions Alice! I learnt Japanese when I was in school but I can’t remember any of it now haha!

Love, Cally x

• January 9, 2018 / 9:27 am

I’m the same with Spanish, I used to know a fair bit but as I’ve gotten older I’ve forgotten x

January 7, 2018 / 9:25 pm

Love these resolutions, learning Japanese is a dream such a beautiful language. I love that you’ve set yourself only a few resolutions, it really allows you the chance to focus on them xx

• January 9, 2018 / 9:27 am

It really is, it’d be so cool if I can really learn even a small bit. Yeah, I’d drive myself mad otherwise! Haha xx

15. January 7, 2018 / 9:49 pm

I think these are all great goals! I too and really trying to budget/save, and maintain a gym routine — wishing us both success in 2018 and beyond! <3

• January 9, 2018 / 9:29 am

Thank you so much, that’s really lovely! Good luck to you too, we got this xx

16. January 14, 2018 / 5:13 pm

Some good resolutions here lovely! I hope you keep to them all, I know how hard the budgeting/saving money is. That’s one of mine for this year and I’ve got everything crossed that I can save enough to move out!

• January 15, 2018 / 12:29 pm

It can be so tricky but when there’s an end goal, it’s so much more motivating! Good luck with saving xx

January 18, 2018 / 4:31 pm

I’d love to learn a language too! I want to learn french! Im also off to read your budgeting post as I seriusly need some help! I know you are going to nail these! Keep us updated with how the Japanese goes 🙂

Emily xx

• January 21, 2018 / 10:46 pm

It’s definitely going to be a tricky one! Thank you so much, I’ll have to post an update at some point x