Must-See Movies of 2017 | AD*

One of my favourite things to do is go to the cinema; I love the high quality images and sound, seeing what’s new in the filming world and snacking on all of the popcorn. I was very kindly contacted by Panasonic to talk all about my favourite films so I thought I’d share some of my favourite releases of 2017. Panasonic have recently brought out the Panasonic Oled 4K TV – now, technology isn’t something I would usually blog about because I’m slightly uncool when it comes to those kinds of things. However, after taking a look at this TV I was quite honestly amazed. There’s nothing I love more than watching a visually amazing film at the cinema and this allows you to bring that quality to the comfort of your own home. Panasonic have worked alongside professional filmmakers in order to create a TV that compliments the filmmakers’ visions, matching the quality that you would receive if you were to visit a Hollywood premiere. If this sounds like something you’d be interested in, you can check out the full specifications by clicking here*. This is definitely something I’d love to have in my home, it’s all the thrills of going to the cinema except you can wear your pyjamas and not have to go out in the cold – sounds absolutely perfect to me. Without further ado, these are the newest movies I’ve been loving this year.

Wonder Woman

The main reason I absolutely loved this film is because it made me feel so many different emotions. There were bits that really made me laugh, bits that literally ripped my heart in two but mainly me wishing I could be Wonder Woman. Gal Gadot is a really incredible actress and deserves all of the awards, especially for the scene where she casually strolls across a No Man’s Land. I might upset some people here by saying this but I’ve always been more of a Marvel girl than a DC girl. However, this film definitely converted me a little bit and Wonder Woman has quickly become one of my favourite characters ever. If you’re looking for a film full of action and badass vibes, this is definitely one for you.

Baby Driver

I think I’m going to go as far as to say that this is probably my top favourite film of the year. I’d been a little bit iffy about Ansel Elgort in the past but his acting is really great in this film, his character is so mysterious yet hilarious. He is coerced into working for a crime boss and paying his dues, meeting the love of his life along the way. All of the timing is really satisfying in this film, the actions matching the soundtrack perfectly. The soundtrack is what really made this film for me, full of rock and roll classics by bands such as Queen as well as vintage tracks from the likes of The Beach Boys. This is the type of soundtrack that I ended up having on repeat for a while after seeing the movie so it stayed with me long afterwards.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Marvel seem to just consistently impress me with every film I bring out. I always find the humour spot on as well as the character development. This film seems to have received a lot of bad reviews but personally I just can’t understand it. Although it’s a lot more comedic rather than action-based in comparison to the first one, I really loved this but I suppose it’s down to preference. I’ll be honest, I still prefer the first film but this was still a really great sequel in my opinion. I have to say that the star of the show for me was Baby Groot, he’s absolute adorable. I also loved the after-credits scene that shows Groot as a teenager, it might just be my favourite after-credits scene so far.

Thor: Ragnarok

I have to admit that going into this movie, I’d never seen the previous Thor films and I wasn’t sure what to expect or whether it would make any sense. I was so pleasantly surprised and I now need to make it an aim to watch the other movies. Before this year, I was never really much of a superhero fan – for example, when I see Mark Ruffalo I don’t think Hulk I think more Matty from ’13 Going On 30′, anybody else? I’ve definitely been converted this year though, I love the more comedic direction that these types of movies have been taking. Taika Watiti has done a brilliant job of directing this film, the puns were perfect and some things had me in absolute stitches. The visual elements were just stunning and every second had me completely gripped.

The Hitman’s Bodyguard

I’m always a little bit sceptical walking into an action movie. I’m always worried that I’ll feel a bit lost amongst all of the fighting and big explosions if it’s overdone. This film really surprised me as I walked out amazed at how much I loved it. Ryan Reynolds becomes a bodyguard for Samuel L Jackson who plays a former assassin, given the job of protecting him and getting him safely to a courthouse. This becomes a lot more of an adventure than they expected it to be but it’s a pretty hilarious one. Some parts of this film had me in tears from laughing so much. I also really loved the action sequences, they were so cleverly done. This is one you’ve just got to see for yourself, I’d definitely pay to see it again.

Jigsaw

The Saw films are definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. I’m a fan of horror films as it is but I particularly love these movies as I just think the plot is so clever in the way that it twists and turns. It’s definitely very well thought out. I just had to go and see this when I saw they were bringing yet another movie out. Honestly, I thought after the last one they were officially done so I was surprised to see another release. I know that these films have their flaws and can be so cheesy at times but I just can’t help loving them. As a Saw fan, I definitely wasn’t disappointed with Jigsaw as there were loads of new traps rather than just recycled ones. It was just as gory and fist-clenching as always, plus there’s a huge twist that had me a little shook which I really wasn’t expecting at all. If you love the rest of the franchise, you won’t be let down.

Daddy’s Home 2

Anything with Will Ferrell in is bound to have me in fits of giggles, there’s just something about his presence on screen that tickles me. I hadn’t seen the first Daddy’s Home but I saw the trailer for its sequel which looked pretty funny so I decided to give it a go. A lot of reviews have said it’s too similar to the first but I can’t vouch for that. Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg play co-dads with their children and have decided to all spend Christmas together. Without delving too deep into all of the characters and side stories, this plays out to be a little bit of a bad idea. I think this is the perfect Christmas film to watch as a family; it’s so funny, heart-warming and has a big old sprinkle of festive spirit.

If you’ve been loving any films from 2017, let me know in the comments below! Do we share any of the same favourites?

*Disclaimer: I was financially compensated for this post. However, all opinions are still completely my own based on my experiences and research.

1. December 6, 2017 / 12:42 pm

I am honestly such a hermit and ALL about staying at home in my PJs so this TV sounds like it’d be the perfect thing to go on my list when I get my own place soon! I’m such a failure I haven’t seen a lot of these movies yet but oh my gosh I need to see Daddys Home 2, Will Ferrell cracks me up in absolutely everything he’s in, such a legend! I am also soo super excited for Pitch Perfect 3 to come out!

• December 6, 2017 / 1:00 pm

I’m with you there, I’d wear pyjamas constantly if I could. He’s absolutely hilarious isn’t he?! Everything he does has me giggling. Yesss, my boyfriend and I have just watched 1 & 2 (so late to the game) so we’re very excited for the third one haha x

2. December 6, 2017 / 12:43 pm

Being a regular movie-goer you’ve picked some great ones! Wonder Woman was amazing, absolutely loved it. Personally haven’t seen Baby Driver, but I’m adding it to my list x

• December 6, 2017 / 12:59 pm

I just wanna be her! Haha. Definitely, it’s so so good x

3. December 6, 2017 / 12:45 pm

I definitely prefer staying home and watching movies, than going to the cinema – I want to eat my snacks as loudly as possible without annoying anyone else! Both my boyfriend and I loved Baby Driver and The Hitman’s Bodyguard, and we also loved Kingmans, which you should definitely watch if you haven’t seen it.. 🙊

• December 6, 2017 / 12:58 pm

I’m definitely the same haha. Yes, that very nearly made my list! That was a really good movie, much preferred the first one though x

4. December 6, 2017 / 12:46 pm

oh my goodness ive actually not seen ANY of these! i need to get my act together

• December 6, 2017 / 12:57 pm

Haha! Daddy’s Home 2 is still on, get yourself to the cinema. So hilarious x

5. December 6, 2017 / 1:25 pm

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was one of my favourite movies of the year! I still haven’t watched Daddy’s Home 2 and I definitely need to because Will Ferrell is one of my favourites ever! X

December 6, 2017 / 9:15 pm

I really need to see baby driver and daddys home 2 i just watch the first one and cant wait to see the second.

Fab post honey, plus that tv looks insane!

December 6, 2017 / 10:24 pm

I can’t believe I still haven’t watched Thor or Daddy’s Home no.2! I’ve been real terrible with watching new movies this year. I definitely will watch them before the new year though xx

• December 7, 2017 / 8:27 am

They’re so good! I’ve been loads this year, definitely the most I’ve ever gone in a year haha xx

December 7, 2017 / 11:18 pm

I really want to see daddys home 2 i LOVED the first one! Also loved gardians of the galaxy II how freaking cute is groot <3

http://www.isobellejane.com x

• December 9, 2017 / 5:40 pm

I need to watch the first one still! He’s sooo adorable x

9. December 8, 2017 / 6:49 am

Guardians of the Galaxy was sooo funny! I loved it! And Wonder Woman was such an incredible movie in how different it was!

• December 9, 2017 / 5:41 pm

Marvel always do so well with humour. Yeah I loved it, I want to be her! x

December 8, 2017 / 9:20 pm

I haven’t seen any of these movies! I really want to watch Wonder Woman and Daddy’s Home 2 though and maybe Baby Driver as well 😊 x

• December 9, 2017 / 5:42 pm

All really good movies! Have yourself a movie night girl xx

11. December 9, 2017 / 3:24 am

Will Ferrell movies? Always a good choice! I’m looking forward to seeing Wonder Woman!

12. December 9, 2017 / 9:45 am

I love this post! There’s some great movies here. I loved Wonder Woman!! Such a great film, also Baby Driver looks amazing, that one is on my Christmas Wishlist. I fell in love with Guardians of the Galaxy!! Love love love!

• December 9, 2017 / 5:43 pm

Good addition to a wishlist! I thought it was really amazing x

13. gwingal
    December 9, 2017 / 2:01 pm

I have not seen any of them! But I am definitely adding The Hitman’s Bodyguard and Baby Driver to my to do list!
    🙂 gwingal

• December 9, 2017 / 5:43 pm

Think they’re my two faves from the list! Good choices x

14. December 9, 2017 / 2:17 pm

ah i loved the first daddy’s home and am so excited for the second! I didn’t see Jigsaw but I went through the Jigsaw haunted house at halloween horror nights and it scared the crap out of me haha!

• December 9, 2017 / 5:44 pm

It’s so hilarious! Uh oh, I don’t deal well with haunted houses haha x

15. December 9, 2017 / 7:57 pm

I loved wonder woman and guardians of the galaxy, they were so good! I can’t handle the SAW films, I’m such a scaredy cat!x

Francesca | everythingchessie.co.uk 🌿

• December 10, 2017 / 8:44 pm

Haha, ooh I love a good horror! Usually have to watch a Disney film or something after though x

16. December 9, 2017 / 10:31 pm

I have seen about half of these and I loved all the ones I have seen! Although my absolute favorite movie I’ve seen this year is Ladybird. So, so good.

• December 10, 2017 / 8:43 pm

I haven’t seen or heard of that! I’ll have to have a look x

17. Rachel G
    December 9, 2017 / 11:29 pm

We’re hoping to see Daddy’s Home 2 pretty soon–the first one was pretty funny!

18. December 10, 2017 / 1:14 am

Wonder Woman was SO GOOD. I loved it. I do want to “The Hitman’s Bodyguard & Daddy’s Home 2” They look so funny.

• December 10, 2017 / 8:41 pm

Definitely give them a watch! Both really hilarious films x

December 10, 2017 / 1:53 pm

I love Baby Driver! I was the only person in my house who actually enjoyed watching it though haha I also adore the soundtrack from this movie. I need to watch the rest of the film from your list – I always plan to watch the movies but I run out of time in the day.

• December 10, 2017 / 8:38 pm

Really?! My boyfriend and I both really loved it. Yeah I feel ya, I love when I actually get time for a proper movie marathon x