What’s Your Biggest Fear?

October 11, 2017

As Halloween is approaching soon and all things spooky are starting to appear, I thought I’d do a post all about fears and phobias. There are some fears I’ve overcome and some things that still make me cower into a corner. There are things that people are afraid of that I just can’t understand and things that make me sweat with fear that seem really stupid to others. I always find it really interesting to know what different things people are scared of.

Cotton Wool

Yes, you read that correctly – cotton wool. This is actually something that doesn’t really bother me too much anymore but I thought it would be an interesting one to bring up. I seem to have overcome it now but a couple of years ago I couldn’t even think straight knowing I was in the same room as the stuff. I hated it that much that someone in sixth form rubbed some in my face as a prank and I instinctively punched them in the face. I’m the least violent person ever so that was quite an outburst for me. I think it was that weird, squeaky sort of texture that sets your teeth on edge except I seemed to have it x10 to the point it would make me shake, cry and feel like throwing up. What’s strange is I didn’t actively try to get rid of this phobia but I slowly introduced cotton wool back into my life. When I got more into skincare I bit the bullet and bought some cotton pads, these aren’t as bad because they’re compact and you don’t get as much of a horrible texture as the balls – I still can’t go near the balls and I don’t even like thinking about them.

Spiders

This one is obviously a very common one but it’s the one that annoys me the most because I don’t want to be afraid of them. Unless they’re actually poisonous there’s absolutely no need to be scared of them but I literally can’t help it. I think they just have too many legs. What I find even worse than spiders are crane flies because they’re basically flying spiders and their long legs freak me out so badly. I can’t be in the same room as one or I’ll just be constantly on edge. When I was younger I didn’t even like the tiniest of spiders and I used to freak out if even a money spider crawled by me. I’m not as bad now because I’ll happily let a very small spider crawl on me but when they get any bigger, it’s just not okay. The worst things ever are the viral videos of millions of spiders crawling out of nests or big ones jumping out at people. I’ve made myself itchy now. Let’s move on.

Deep Water

This doesn’t apply to swimming pools or anything else clear where you can see what’s beneath you. The fear is anywhere like the sea where you can’t really see what’s beneath you because I’m afraid of what could be there. I get scared of accidentally stepping on a sharp rock and cutting my foot which happened to me once when I was little so I think that’s what triggered it. I also once saw a boy on holiday run out of the sea screaming that he’d been stung by a jellyfish and ever since then I get really nervous about it happening to me. I don’t let this stop me from going in the sea because it is super fun but I never go very far out and I’m always wary about if there’s anything dangerous beneath me.

So those are three of my fears but what I want to know is what are you most afraid of?

22 comments so far.

22 responses to “What’s Your Biggest Fear?”

1. andthenzen says:

A very unconventional one from me, but I’ve always been scared of big lorry wheels, ever since I was little! Again, it’s one that I’ve started to overcome as an adult, but I do still have to look away if I walk past one or if we become stationary next to one while driving.. I used to kick and scream as a child! 😂🤷🏼‍♀️

2. Reshu says:

I Have fear of heights that refuses to go away. I try to overcome it but feels dizzy as soon as i look down.

Reshu
    thepinknotion.com

3. Prawns. I hate them and I DONT KNOW WHY. They’re like sea bugs !! And cockroaches aswell, those things make me feel soo sick. Just anything that scuttles basically, creepy af.

4. Alicia says:

I completely feel you with deep water and spiders but cotton wool is a new one for me lol! I’m afraid of heights, spiders and sleeping alone now (since my cousin passed away in his sleep) xx

5. I would definitely agree with you on the spiders! I absoutely hate themm… Big ones, small ones, doesn’t matter. I don’t care that they’re probably more scared of me, I just can’t handle it! Also I absoutely hate flying, I just can’t do it, I am soo terrified of it that I have to hold my partner’s hand the whole time to keep me calm.

6. theglassofclass says:

I’ve never heard about a fear of cotton wool! It was so interesting, I’m glad I know that it is a thing. I share your fear of deep water, but in my case it doesn’t matter if it’s clear or not – if I can’t touch the groud, I start to panic even though I can swim (more or less).

7. Emily says:

So with you on deep water I hate swimming in the sea!! Also hate the feel of cotton wool it makes my teeth shudder!

Emily

8. Kayleigh Zara says:

Deep water is one that really bothers me too! Also for me dark enclosed spaces make me have panic attacks so badly.

Kayleigh Zara 🌿www.kayleighzaraa.com

9. leslieleon says:

Oh i am crazily afraid of snakes! When I was little I would stay up all night because I thought a snake would climb up my bed and attack me

10. I’m terrified of spiders, snakes and heights! I’m just a massive scaredy-cat in general really 😂

Chessie | everythingchessie.co.uk 🌿

11. Anu says:

I love water and swimming but hate not being able to see what’s below which is why I don’t really swim in the sea or deep lakes. I’d love to go somewhere with really clear water like Flathead Lake in Montana :)x