First Impressions: LUSH Jelly Face Masks

Lush have recently discontinued some of their products (rest in peace, The Comforter – I will miss you so dearly). Although I was pretty gutted about some of the items they’ve gotten rid of (seriously though, why?), I knew this meant that they were making way for some new products. Lush have just released five brand new jelly face masks – yes, jelly! At first I was admittedly a little sceptical about this because it seemed like a bit of a gimmicky product but I shouldn’t have been so quick to judge. I paid a visit to Lush on my lunch break and was browsing the new masks when a girl that worked there walked over to me. I was unsure on which one I should get and she was really informative about each mask as they all have different purposes. She asked me about my skin type and then chose two that she thought would be most suited to me to test on the backs of my hands. The two that we tried were ‘Just To Clarify’ and ‘1000 Millihelens’ – I found that whilst ‘1000 Millihelens’ left my skin feeling like it had been cleansed really deeply, ‘Just To Clarify’ felt a lot more hydrating so I went with that one as I was after a more glowing look.

I thought that because of the jelly, this might be a little more tricky to apply than regular face masks. The girl in Lush recommended that I wet my hand with warm water and work a grape-sized amount of product into the palm of my hand until the consistency is more like a creamy paste. Then you just apply this all over your face and leave it on for 10 minutes. The application was a lot easier than I thought it would be, one tub costs £6.95 which I think is actually so affordable considering the amount of product you get. I feel like I’m going to get a good few uses out of it. My Lush face masks usually end up going out of date before I manage to use them all up but these ones actually don’t have an expiry date which is perfect!

‘Just To Clarify’ smells faintly of orange sweets which sort of made me want to eat it, much like a lot of Lush’s products. This particular mask contains papaya juice to help brighten your skin as well as bamboo stem which works as a gentle exfoliator. The bamboo stem is in little balls inside the jelly so you have to make sure to get a couple of these and use them like a scrub as you apply the mask. This made my skin a lot smoother because I often suffer from little bumps under my skin but these literally disappeared. Those little guys do not budge so I was super impressed by this. As for brightening which is what I was after the most, I noticed immediately after taking the mask off that my skin looked so much more hydrated and awake. As I have oily skin, I get really scared about using extra oils on my face and this contains bergamot oils but I found no problems with this. In fact, the day after I felt like my skin was actually considerably less oily – I think I may have found my skin saviour.

There are a couple of things I didn’t like so much, the first being that it was quite difficult to remove. I usually just give my face a rinse into the sink with warm water to remove a mask but this felt like it was clinging to my face and took quite a long time to get every bit off. I think I’d be a lot better off using a damp flannel to remove it next time. It also didn’t really do anything in terms of my blackheads which are consistently a problem for me but the Lush girl did say that this mask isn’t really built for that purpose and recommended some other products that target blackheads specifically. I think I’ll be going back to Lush to buy ‘1000 Millihelens’ as she said that this one was more of an antiseptic and targets pesky dirt and spots. One thing that always impresses me with Lush is how helpful and knowledgeable their workers as they are always happy to help you find something to suit you personally.

Have you tried any new Lush products yet – if so, what did you think? Will you be trying a jelly face mask? Thank you so much for reading, do come back soon!

• August 17, 2017 / 9:09 am

Sounds like it’d be fab for you then! Definitely, if I do pick it up I’ll be reviewing it for sure 🙂 x

1. August 16, 2017 / 9:58 pm

By the sounds of it we have really similar skin types so maybe I should try this out too! Love the sound of the smell, i’m a sucker for orangey smells, I can’t wait to try some of their new products!

2. August 16, 2017 / 10:01 pm

This sounds so interesting, didn’t realise these were coming out. It is such a cool concept, a jelly mask. I would be worried it will fall off my face everywhere, haha x

3. August 17, 2017 / 7:27 am

I always thought jelly masks would be hard to apply aswell, so glad it was easy, even if the removal wasn’t!
    I literally want to eat so many lush products😩

• August 17, 2017 / 9:07 am

I thought it might just be me, their coffee face mask especially makes me wanna eat it but I don’t imagine it’s as nice tasting as it smells haha x

4. August 17, 2017 / 11:26 am

I’ve had the ‘Birth of Venus’ Jelly mask, I love it. But I agree you do need a flannel to remove them. When I was younger I found that washing my face with a flannel helped my blackheads anyway because you can gently scrub your face with it, so it will work like a face scrub with any of your skincare. xo

5. August 18, 2017 / 3:12 am

This mask seems like a dream! I really want to try some more Lush products. I’ve only ever tried their bath bombs and their coffee scrub!

• August 21, 2017 / 11:23 am

Their coffee scrub is amazing, I love it so much! Once I washed it off in the bath though and basically made my bath one giant coffee, oops x

6. August 21, 2017 / 11:14 am

Oooh I’m going to have to give these a go I love face masks!!!

7. August 21, 2017 / 11:24 am

I’ve never tried a lush face mask, sounds like i’m missing out!
    Stelle Xx
    Velvetteddyblogs.wordpress.com

• August 21, 2017 / 12:58 pm

I’m glad I could help! Don’t worry, I was sceptical at first too but they’re amazing x

8. August 21, 2017 / 4:08 pm

I was in lush the other day picking up bath bombs and wanted to feel this product but the consistence went through me – dont think i could use it!

• August 21, 2017 / 5:25 pm

You not a jelly fan? Haha. The consistency changes a lot once you’ve smushed it into your hand but I get you, I’m like that when I touch a cotton ball x

9. August 21, 2017 / 8:35 pm

I love the sound of this face masks! I didn’t come across them until recently after hearing all the good reviews. I haven’t been in Lush for so long! If they have brought out these new face masks I feel like a trip is in order! I love their products and these sound perfect, I’m not too sure about them being jelly? I’m going to give them a try though.

• August 21, 2017 / 8:48 pm

Definitely, go go go! I thought the jelly sounded and felt weird at first but it works into more of a paste so it’s actually so easy to work with x

August 21, 2017 / 8:41 pm

I really like the sound of the jelly masks and the new jelly bath bombs as well! I need to give this mask a try when they arrive in Finland :)x

11. August 21, 2017 / 8:50 pm

I saw these in my local Lush! I was a bit skeptical but now I really want to try one out! I may or may not have to pop down tomorrow… 😀 Great post! Xx

12. Kayleigh Zara
    August 21, 2017 / 9:08 pm

This is an amazing review – I’ve yet to try the jelly masks but they look amazing and I’ve only heard good things. The removal does sound like a pain though x

Kayleigh Zara 🌿www.kayleighzaraa.com

• August 22, 2017 / 9:51 am

I’ve since tried it with a warm, damp cloth and it’s much easier! x

August 21, 2017 / 9:29 pm

Jelly face mask? How cool does that sound? I didn’t even know it could be a thing! Sounds so cool. I’ll have to pay a visit to Lush and try it out myself. Lush always know what they’re doing.

• August 22, 2017 / 9:50 am

I know right?! So true, they always bring out such amazing quality products x

14. August 21, 2017 / 10:22 pm

I’m a massive fan of Lush, especially their bath bombs – I definitely need to try out their jelly face masks now!x

• August 22, 2017 / 9:49 am

I know what you mean, it’s so good though! The price is well worth it for the amount of uses you get out of it x

• August 22, 2017 / 9:59 am

Me too, they’ve got rid of my favourite bath bomb AND favourite shower gel! 🙁 x

15. August 24, 2017 / 11:41 am

I absolutely love Lush products, but like you, I’d probably be a little sceptical about trying a ‘jelly face mask’ to begin with, just because it sounds so strange! There are so many of there products I really want to try though.. 😍

• August 24, 2017 / 1:28 pm

I could literally spend a fortune in Lush, I just want it all x

16. August 24, 2017 / 1:40 pm

Great post! I’ve been wondering how to use the jelly face masks and now I’m really intrigued! Definitely want to try some!

Kimberley

• August 24, 2017 / 1:44 pm

Yeah it’s actually super easy! Give them a go, it’s so worth it x